Moving Up!

Quick entry to celebrate making a positive start to my goal as outlined in a post from earlier last week. You can refresh your memory by clicking here. In brief, I laid down a very public challenge to myself to get my average speed on the mountain up to 17 km/h before the snow arrived.

So with a cool day forecast and no direct sun, I figured today was as good as any day to start improving my time. A lot of one’s success lies in one’s attitude. This is true in all aspects of your life I think. If you believe you can do something, you’re going to be a lot closer to achieving it than if you are convinced from the outset that it’s going to be impossible. Today I believed that I would set a better time.

I was 34/113 last week, and that was thanks to my best time from May of 5:55, average speed of 16.6 km/h. I nervously uploaded my Garmin data and went to the Strava segment for the Camilien-Houde climb….Wahay! I am now 29/115 in my 34-44 age group. I am getting better. But let’s take a look and see just how well I’m doing.

Well stone the crows, paint my balls blue, and call me Susan! As the summary of my top 6 times on the mountain reveal, my average speed today going up the climb was 17.0 km/h! I have to set a new target obviously. How about 18 km/h? Am I biting off more than I can chew? Ah, what the hell. No point setting something that is going to be too easy is there!

Good day on the bike. Didn’t even mind when it rained part of the way home.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Moving Up!

1. Rollo says:

Nice work! There’s a lot of satisfaction in hitting those targets.

• James says:

It does feel good, and I was surprised to hit this so soon. So either a) I did not set a good enough challenge, or b) I am as good as my fantasy tells me I am!

2. richard h says:

Coaches input to yours truly from a decade ago……… Divide the climb into 3 parts ,,,,,,,, bus stop
    till the false flat, false flat to the concrete median, median to the top ……. Make the focus of each hill day 3 sets of 1 sector only, ride tempo for the rest ……… When you want to set a time, take double the rest between hills day then go and do one easy climb for warmup , one tempo (within breath control)….. the next time is full pin…… enjoy!

• James says:

Now this is coming from someone who has obviously climbed Camilien-Houde more than once or twice! Great advice Richard. I think that breaking it up will help. After all, so much of being a god climber is being able to conquer the hill mentally as well as physically.

3. James says:

I meant a GOOD climber, not a God climber. I am not there yet!

4. richard h says:

a freudian slip if ever I saw one……….